Read Me/Disclaimer

Read Me/Disclaimer: This is a non-political/socio-political blog. It's a running tale of my Saudi Arabian adventure, great, good, bad, and ugly. It is uncensored, and I don't really care what you think of it, read it or don't. I don't care. I did not decide to do this as a means to an end, but rather to document the means with which I occupied my time while waiting for my end... All that being said, I'm an American Expat in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The opportunity to help build this system and the salary that accompanied it were to good to pass up.-Geoff

**
"The views presented here are just the views of some asshole named Geoff, they are not necessarily the views of my employer, my co-workers, my family or anybody else. First hand knowledge and second hand accounts were used to compile the information. These are not scientific facts and figures. These views are not necessarily supported, endorsed or even appreciated by the KSA the USA or any other country for that matter and the author makes absolutely no claim that they are."**

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Some days it just-don't-pay!

There are days in this life when it just doesn't pay to get out of bed in the morning and then there's Saudi Arabia where it pays very well to get out of bed in the morning, but it still might be one of those days.  Today definitely qualifies!  I couldn't sleep for anything last night, I had taken advantage of my weekend and slept in a bit too late anyway, so when I finally got up and got to work on some of the things I've been putting off, it was already noon.  Spent the day tooling around Khobar, pricing the uniform shirts that we're making for the students, discussing work and the Kingdom and life in general.  I missed the opportunity to talk to my wife due to the time change and went to bed late and thoroughly restless.  I tossed and turned for hours thinking about this mornings classes, any random work that I had yet to finish and how I could make this semester something really special, something so that if I go home next week because Iran takes a pot shot at the Lincoln cruising through the gulf, these students will say, "that guy cared", "that guy made a difference".  And really its the difference that matters, not that anybody noticed or didn't notice.  I could give a damn about that, in fact if someone would pay me to sit on a beach or a boat and drink a bucket of beer all day as long as I did random anonymous acts of kindness that made the world a little sunnier, well lets just say my feet would never hit the pavement again.  Unfortunately every time I apply for that position, they tell me they're not hiring.  So back to the point, I get up this morning after about 3 hours of sleep, and realize my body's fighting off something, and doing a nice job of it.  Good little fever, strike 1.  Got to school, got organized, got my classroom set up, sat there waiting and none of my level 6 students (which is all I had today) show up...Strike 2...Ah the Magic Kingdom.  So I had a pretty productive rest of the day, got a lot of typing done, a lot of things I've been working on in my spare time got solidified into documents and presentations and proposals, and I decided that since I was on a roll, I'd just stay at the office a couple of hours and keep right on going.  About 6, I packed up and headed home.  I almost got ran over twice on the way home, the first one was pretty damn close, but as we all know "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" so no harm, no foul.  Finally got home, planned to fire up the computer and call the wonderful wife that I missed yesterday and the computer crashes...3 times...finally got it going and reverted to a save point from a week ago and it's still screwed.  Everything I had is gone, I mean Dunski's.  Called a co-worker who felt my pain and walked me through salvaging what I could of it, but all of tonight's documents are gone...wonderful...Strike 3  Stupidly enough I decided I still had to eat, so I ordered food, and after ordering from the same place 4 times or so, suddenly tonight they decide they have a minimum order, so I paid double and now have enough food for a family.  It'll go bad before I can eat even half of it, but hey, I guess its better than having no food...the batter is accidentally hit with the ball while walking back to the dugout after striking out!  To hell with this, I'm going to bed!  Wish me luck!

Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment