Read Me/Disclaimer

Read Me/Disclaimer: This is a non-political/socio-political blog. It's a running tale of my Saudi Arabian adventure, great, good, bad, and ugly. It is uncensored, and I don't really care what you think of it, read it or don't. I don't care. I did not decide to do this as a means to an end, but rather to document the means with which I occupied my time while waiting for my end... All that being said, I'm an American Expat in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The opportunity to help build this system and the salary that accompanied it were to good to pass up.-Geoff

**
"The views presented here are just the views of some asshole named Geoff, they are not necessarily the views of my employer, my co-workers, my family or anybody else. First hand knowledge and second hand accounts were used to compile the information. These are not scientific facts and figures. These views are not necessarily supported, endorsed or even appreciated by the KSA the USA or any other country for that matter and the author makes absolutely no claim that they are."**

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What do you do with your time over there...

Truth be told, I read...A lot!  In the US I was always busy, I worked two and sometimes three jobs, I had a family, was a City Councilman, and was a MBA Candidate.  here I have one job, no family, no council.  I am still an MBA candidate, but a slow one.  So I took the opportunity to read the way I used to, the way most of us wish we could.  So here's the list in order (complete with Geoff's arbitary ratings!) at 2 months 12 days...This might make you Jealous.

Full dark, No stars-Stephen King ***

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo-Steig Larson****

The Dome-Stephen King****

Twilight-Stephanie Meyer***

Girls of Riyadh-Rajaa Alsanea**** *

The Girl Who Played With Fire-Steig Larson****

As usual, King did his thing and had me sucked in to both in a heartbeat.  "Full dark" as I think one of the critics warns in the beginning is a little darker than he normally goes....Wow, that man has still got it.  He's such a great story teller that you forget that he can get downright nasty and terrifying.  I truly believe that he's one of the most under-appreciated novelists of our time.  "The Girl" series, well, its a real shame he's dead, Steig Larson had at least another 4 or 5 great novels in him before he turned to straight profiteering, love this series and "Hornets Nest" is sitting patiently on my nightstand.  Twilight, read this for my wife, she LOVES the series, and the movies are enjoyable, so I thought I'd give the book a shot, wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped I'd be, but felt that the author really found her groove towards the end, so I may read the rest of the series.  Girls of Riyadh was awesome and should be mandatory reading for expats in Saudi, if not everybody who works with kids fresh out of high school and starting their lives.  Awesome book, loved it.  It got an extra star just because it easily and enjoyably helped me understand some of the issues going on around me. 

I've also read a Mosby emergency medical "secrets" textbook (I love that series) and an EMT basic text cover to cover, but they don't really count.  So, aside from writing this, work, and exploring, plenty of movies and some exercise, that's what I've been doing with my time.  The good news is that the "Jarir Book Store" isn't going to run out of books anytime soon, the bad news is they're just as expensive as any bookstore in the states!

I'm not out of ideas by any means, but suggestions are always welcome, but if your going to suggest it though, tell me why I should read it!


No comments:

Post a Comment